Healthy teeth are important to your child's overall health. From the time your child is born, there are things you can do to promote healthy teeth and prevent cavities. For babies, you should clean teeth with a soft, clean cloth or baby's toothbrush. Avoid putting the baby to bed with a bottle and check teeth regularly for spots or stains.
For all children, you should
1. Start using a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste when they are two years old. You might start sooner, if a dentist or doctor suggests it.
2. Provide healthy foods and limit sweet snacks and drinks
3. Schedule regular dental check-ups
Forming good habits at a young age can help your child have healthy teeth for life.
1. WebMD. Nutrition and Your Child's Teeth
2. Canadian Dental Association, Nutrition for Children
3. National Institute of Health, Child DentalHealth